Interesting points from ch 5 of Our Sexuality by Robert Crooks and Karla Baur:
- An extensive network of muscles are present at the base of the penis. These muscles help eject both semen and urine through the urethra.
- Examination of Egyptian mummies has revealed evidence of circumcision as far back as 6000 BCE and Egyptian records at least 5000 years old depict circumcised men.
- The entire penis is sensitive to touch, but the greatest concentration of nerve endings is found in the glans. Two specific locations, the corona, the rim where the glans abruptly arises from the shaft, and the frenulum, the thin strip of skin connecting the glans to the shaft, are particularly sensitive.
- In the US, castration was sometimes performed during the mid-nineteenth century as a “cure” for masturbation. Medical journals of the time reported castration as a cure for insanity.
- The cremasteric muscles influence the position of the testicles. These muscles can be voluntarily controlled, but mostly act through the cremasteric reflex and shorten, moving the testes up, when aroused, cold, of frightened.
- Cryptorchidism in a condition in which one or both testes fail to descent before birth. It affects 3-4% of male infants.
- In most men, the testicles are asymmetrical and the left often hangs lower than the right.
- The prostate is made up of smooth muscle fibers and glandular tissue, whose secretions account for about 30% of the seminal fluid released during ejaculation.
- The amount of seminal fluid a man ejaculates is roughly one teaspoon, but is influenced by a number of factors including age, time since last ejaculation, and the duration of arousal before ejaculation.
- The semen of a single ejaculation typically contains 200 to 500 million sperm, these sperm account for only about 1% of the ejaculate by volume.
- The capacity for erection is present at birth and many male infants experience erections.
- Contrary to the male ego, most women prefer their partner’s penis smaller than he would as a large penis can cause physical pain as the female ovaries and male testicles originate from the same embryonic tissue, they share the same sensitivity.
- Small flaccid penises tend to increase more in size during erection than do penises that are larger in the flaccid state.
- At least 1.2 newborn boys (60%) are circumcised annually in the US.
- Research has shown that uncircumcised boys are at more rick of penile cancer and their female partners are more at risk of cervical cancer.
- Prostate cancer accounts for about 1% of all cancer in males. The five year survival rate for men with prostate cancer is 90%. Because the dangers or risks of surgery, radiation, or hormone therapy treatment for prostrate cancer may outweigh the potential benefits, especially for older men, an approach called ‘expectant management” that involves “watchful waiting” with deferred treatment may be deemed most appropriate.
Google has had some stunning logos over the years, but this one is a showstopper.
I really really love this.
anybody else think of avatar?
Long ago, the websites lived together in harmony…
Then everything changed when Windows Vista attacked!
Only Google, Master of All Search Engines could stop it.
But when the internet needed it most, Google vanished.
Years passed, and a new Search Engine was discovered, a Search Engine named Bing.
And Bing couldn’t search for shit. Everyone died.
The need to constantly validate my son’s intelligence is for me the most stressful thing about raising a non-verbal autistic child.Jane (@everhopeful1000 on Twitter) on May 21 (via neurodiversitysci)
The minimum wage hasn’t gone up in 5 years, but costs certainly have.
Tell Speaker John Boehner to take the Minimum Wage Challenge so he better understands the lives of low-wage workers: http://bit.ly/1rChdiz
(Graphic via U.S. Secretary of Labor Tom Perez) http://ift.tt/1nFSMyd